…have an optimism smoothie!
By PLA Erin
Fun Fact 1: Research has demonstrated that IQ is not the top predictor of academic success.
You say, WHAT?!?!
I say, it’s true.
Fun Fact 2: The top three skills that help students achieve high academic excellence include Time management, Organization, and Optimism!
You say, WHAT?!?!
I say, it’s true. And remember it is not possible to have too much TOO!!!
Today I am going to focus on Optimism because it’s the skill that I practice most regularly and I think it can be applied by everyone, everyday, in simple ways that make a difference.
Optimism Smoothie Ingredients:
- ½ cup outside motivators
- ¾ cup inside motivators
- 1 heaping cup positive attitude
- 3 tbsp determination, discipline, direction
- 1 tsp motivated & positive peers
Now, let’s elaborate on these key ingredients, all of which help you achieve optimal levels of optimism:
Outside (extrinsic) motivators:
- Things in your environment that motivate you:
- Seeing a good grade on your report card
- Food (treats) and rewards
Inside (intrinsic) motivators:
- Things inside of yourself that motivate you:
- Self-confidence in your abilities
- Determination to achieve
- Satisfaction with your achievements
- Personal goals
- MIND OVER MATTER.
- A very important ingredient (Don’t be shy; exaggerate the ‘heaping’ with a few extra teaspoons)
- Unsure how to go about practicing a positive attitude? Try using a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset:
- Try a new study method, listen and be open to suggestions, change the way you think about a course!
- Try replacing “I can’t do it” with “I can’t do it yet.”
Determination, discipline, and direction help you:
- Become motivated and stay motivated – motivation does not magically appear – it comes when you start something.
- Stick to your specific goals and timeframes.
- Channel your energy toward your goals.
- Try setting a specific goal that you can measure and that you know is realistic to achieve in a certain time frame.
Motivated and positive peers:
- Being surrounded by people who are motivated and positive helps you to become motivated and and positive as well!
- Try creating a regular-scheduled study group with people who are in the same course. You will motivate each other!
Blend smoothly, drink, and enjoy! Remember that this “optimism smoothie” won’t last forever, but that the ingredients to make another are very accessible 🙂